2017 SnoFest Races will run February 10-12

Due to the international races scheduled in Haliburton on the first weekend of February, Marmora SnoFest will be hosting their races the second weekend of February for the first time since it's run began in 1979.

The races planned will mirror last year's schedule:

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Sunday, February 12, 2017

With our event approaching, we encourage and all feedback. It helps us understand how we can better our event as well as you experience while here. Please feel free to email you thoughts to snofest.chair@gmail.com or call 613-438-1508.

Hope to see you all soon.

Tom McFarlane
Chairperson, Marmora SnoFest

February 27-28, 2016 Races Cancelled

 Current mood.

Current mood.

We are sorry to say that we will have to cancel the races this year. The weather has made it impossible to have proper trails ready for the weekend. 

Also cancelled will be the Closing Ceremonies spaghetti dinner at The Iron Grill.

To all sponsors of the races, we will contact you shortly to discuss next steps.

Thank you for your support, we tried hard to make it happen!

Here's the answer to this valid question...

Why doesn't SnoFest postpone all events so that they all run on the same weekend as the races? 

You bring up a valid question. Let me explain our thinking a little. 

The biggest reason is how much work has gone into organizing this weekend. We have secured permits, booked talent, gotten approval to close down a street, confirmed volunteers, and paid for media while managing our website and social media to keep everyone up-to-date. And that doesn't even include the work that has gone into preparing for the races. There are, at least, 7 different organizing teams running the events. All volunteers. All who have been working for the past few months to pull this together.

With all that being said, you can see how it would be a massive undertaking to move the events that aren't weather dependent to another weekend.  We also, don't have confirmation that the races will be able to run on our rain date either. So all could be for not. 

Your instincts are not wrong, the turnout would be better if the races were on, people love the dogs. And people travel for the dogs. But, this is something we will have to get used to in the coming years. There is always going to be cancelations when you depend on the perfect winter weather. What we are trying to do as a board is make the event sustainable and non-reliant on the weather. And I think, with our increase in programming, we are moving in that direction.